Pages

WE HAVE MOVED!

http://www.freshpaintnyc.com

WE HAVE MOVED!

http://www.freshpaintnyc.com

WE HAVE MOVED!

http://www.freshpaintnyc.com

WE HAVE MOVED!

http://www.freshpaintnyc.com

WE HAVE MOVED!

http://www.freshpaintnyc.com

Friday, March 19, 2010

Interview: Host & Tenz (circa 2003)


DD: What crews you push and where are you from?
TENZ: I represent DYM crew to the fullest, but I’m down with a few other crews, but as for really getting down and really putting in work I feel most comfortable with my squad. I was born and raised in Brooklyn.
HOST: DYM always. Kaos inc. some others, depends what I'm doing and who I'm with. BROOKLYN.

DD: How did you get into graf, and how long you been writing?
TENZ: I used to live in a pretty bombed area of Brooklyn at the time (like most areas of bk in the late 80's early 90 ‘s) and graff was some thing I knew was part of my environment but I never got evolved, until I bumped into taboo. He was already down with some local writers, was occasionally going out street bombing with crews like ATS and GNS .I got involved as well, but my main influence to really become a writer was the pieces I use to see at Tilden high school. That place had some real quality Graff from guys like Web one, greed, waqs and crews like tc5, cod, tm7, that played a real major influence in my style and the way I go about doing Graff till this day, that was like in 1993 that I started and became active with taboo and threat
and phobes, We were the YMCA crew at the time (Young minds creating art) Our interest was piecing.
HOST: Since I was a real young kid I always looked at graffiti on highways and I guess I picked it up like most people, in school. That was in like 1988. I went tagging and shit like that but I got more into it in like '93.
DD: What is the craziest spot you ever hit?
TENZ: I really don’t know because some times spots seem to be really crazy but
after the deed is done you realize it was easier than imagined.

DD: Rack or Buy?
TENZ: Racking, I would have to be nuts to buy it at the pace I use it as of
late, But some times I do have to shell out the money for the more expensive paint when i'm doing a serious burner or a major wall with my crew. But hard
ware supply shops free off charge provide all the supplies for the street work; I like to think of it as if they are sponsoring my cause!

DD: Do you have any chase stories to share?
TENZ: Yea I have a bunch but I hate telling stories or bringing up bad
experiences.
HOST: One night Taboo and I were doing some fillins in Brownsville. Everything was cool and I was outlining my shit when we see a car coming the wrong way down the street and you know what that means. So we start walking and the car just goes right past us so we were like wheeeeeew ok cool but then the car just stops and starts backing up real fast so I'm like fuck this I'm out so we start running and eventually we get to this little ally and we hide
behide all these dumpsters for like 10 mins. Just then we start hearing this weird noise coming from the garbage. Suddenly a racoon leaps out of the trash onto Taboos back! He starts flipping out like "Yo get this beast off
me!!" and hes like stumbling out of the nitch where the garbage was and the cops down the block see him. They start running towards us and they got a dog. Taboo is still being harrassed by this creature and I'm trying to
get it off him, the cops let the dog loose and it runs towards us with vigor. Taboo reaches behind him, grabs hold of the Racoon and tosses it at the raging canine. BAM! The pooch got smacked in the face with a racoon and
the two beasts begin to brawl, and you know Brownsville racoons dont play so he as holding his own. Taboo and me flee the scene with the swiftness but as we turn the corner POW! I run right into a crack hooker wearing some zany hawian print skirt and a purple fubu shirt. The hooker and I both end up on the floor and Taboos like "yo get the fuck up the dogs coming"! I look behind me and that dog is pissed, running top speed at us with the
racoon still on its back knawing away, the mutt nearly got his teeth in my hide but I jumped up too quickly for him and he ended up with a mouth full of Browsvillian prostitute. That bitch was yelping. We made our escape
while the two officers tried to break up the hooker, dog and racoon situation. All I know is the next morning when I went back to take some flicks there was a mess of fur and some hawian prints on the sidewalk. Some homeless dude was picking it up and was like "yeah ima be warm this winter" I was like say word. "Word".

DD: Favorite alcoholic beverge?
HOST: Night Flight ya heard!
TENZ: A Shot of jack Daniels followed by a corona but only after the Graff buisness is done, all that Graff and drugs/ alcohol shit don’t mix for me... I’m very focused.

DD: What do you think of the current NYC graf scene and what does the
future hold?
TENZ: I really don’t know, I’m not one of those guys always complaining about shit
isn’t the same, OF COURSE IT AINT. There are guys coming up that have
potential they just need time, style and execution is something that
isn’t learned over night. Its unfortunate that allot of the older guys had to stop
but it’s called life, As far as the buff that is some thing that is just part of the game, if you really cant beat it you move on to the next target, subways. High ways,
streets, freight trains

DD: Any shout outs?
HOST: To the DYM Brotherhood! And to anyone whos keeping it Rock & Roll.